COVID-19 Daily Update: 5.27.2020
COVID-19 DAILY HEALTH UPDATE
(Information from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) current as of 1:00 p.m. Central, Wednesday, May 27, 2020)
- Total negative counts: 210,605 (+9,731)
- Total positive counts: 16,462 (+599)
- Hospitalizations: 2,411 (+49) or 15%
- Total deaths: 539 (+22)
GOVERNOR EVERS ANNOUNCES $200 MILLION “ROUTES TO RECOVERY: LOCAL GOVERNMENT AID GRANTS” PROGRAM
Governor Tony Evers today announced the launch of the “Routes to Recovery: Local Government Aid Grants” program, a $200 million effort aimed at helping local leaders address some of their most urgent and unique COVID-19 recovery needs.
The Wisconsin Counties Association was briefed by Governor Evers staff yesterday on the program, discussing in detail how the funds can be used for counties’ COVID-19 activities, programs and services.
Administered by the Wisconsin Department of Administration (DOA), Routes to Recovery Grants will be allocated to every Wisconsin county, city, village, town and federally recognized tribe.
The effort is funded by $200 million in federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act dollars and will be administered by the DOA. Of the $200 million, $10 million will be allocated to Wisconsin’s tribal nations, with the remaining funds being distributed to every Wisconsin county, city, village and town.
If you would like to be included on any email updates regarding the Routes to Recovery Grant program, please send an email address with no message to email@example.com
- See the “Routes to Recovery: Local Government Aid Grants” Program Media Release
- More Information on the “Routes to Recovery Grants” including the Allocation Amounts for Counties
- Direct Link to County Allocation Amounts
“ROUTES TO RECOVERY: LOCAL GOVERNMENT AID GRANTS” PROGRAM: OPERATIONAL OVERVIEW AND HOW THE FUND WORKS
How the Fund Works
Every county, city, village, and town is allocated a portion of the Fund based on population, with a guaranteed minimum allocation of $5,000. To draw down its allocation and receive funds, a grantee must report its eligible expenditures through the State’s cost tracker application.
The State will review eligible expenditures entered by July 1, 2020 (and every two months thereafter until November 1, 2020), subtract these expenditures from the grantee’s allocation, and reimburse them until the grantee’s allocation reaches zero.
The Fund is available to cover unbudgeted expenditures incurred due to the COVID-19 public health emergency between March 1 and October 31, 2020.
- Read the Full Document with Additional Details on the “Routes to Recovery: Local Government Aid Grants”
DWD RELEASES APRIL LOCAL EMPLOYMENT AND UNEMPLOYMENT DATA
The Department of Workforce Development (DWD) today released the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates of unemployment and employment statistics for Wisconsin metropolitan areas, major cities and counties in Wisconsin for April 2020.
In brief, the non-seasonally adjusted data for Wisconsin shows:
- Metropolitan Statistical Areas: Preliminary April 2020 unemployment rates increased in Wisconsin’s 12 metro areas over the month and over the year. Unemployment rates for April range from 11.8 percent in Madison to 17.0 percent in Janesville-Beloit
- Municipalities: Preliminary April 2020 unemployment rates increased in Wisconsin’s 34 largest cities over the month and over the year. Unemployment rates range from 9.9 percent in Fitchburg to 21.1 percent in Superior.
- Counties: Preliminary April 2020 unemployment rates increased in Wisconsin’s 72 counties over the month and over the year. Rates range from 9.7 percent in Lafayette to 26.2 percent in Iron and Menominee.
MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS, INC. OFFERS SAVINGS ON APX RADIOS
Motorola Solutions, Inc. has been a longtime partner of WCA and WCA Services, Inc. and is providing additional discounts to help counties during these painful financial times.
Now Through June 25, 2020, Counties Can Save on Select APX Radios
All agencies eligible for purchasing off of the WCA contract will receive an additional 8% off their total purchase of eligible radios and compatible accessories. For this discount to apply, a minimum order quantity of eight eligible APX radios must be met, and all purchase orders must be received by June 25, 2020.
For additional information, please contact Motorola’s Peter Jafuta at 262.227.7727 or via email.
- Learn more about the Motorola Promotion on APX Radios
- See the Motorola Page on the WCA Services, Inc. Website
ICYMI: 2020 WCA ANNUAL CONFERENCE HOUSING AND CANCELLATION POLICIES
The 2020 WCA Annual Conference will be held September 20-22, 2020 in Sauk County. Housing for the event opens June 1, 2020 at 8:00 a.m.
As of right now, the WCA Annual Conference will go on and we are currently working with the Kalahari Resort and Convention Center to ensure that safety measures are in place. Please stay tuned to your inbox and www.wicounties.org for the latest updates on the event.
Because of the unknown of the COVID-19 Pandemic and what our future holds regarding this Pandemic, for your convenience, listed below are all the 2020 WCA Conference hotel cancellation policies.